Wednesday, April 16, 2008

ALI WON!!!

I have been watching The Biggest Loser all season. This show is my secret passion; I get sad when I miss it. My favorite contestant is Ali Vincent (I liked Brittany Aberle a lot, too). Ali got eliminated (I think at Week Four) but came back in a surprise twist; they allowed one eliminated woman and one eliminated man back on the show, and Ali got it.

And she freakin' won the whole thing last night!!!

She lost 112 pounds, 47.86 percent of her body weight. That's amazing!

She is the first female Biggest Loser.

It was awesome watching the finale -- first to see all the transformations people made in six months. Six months! Most of them looked like completely different people. And second to see Ali win it all. I was rooting for her to win. When she got eliminated, she blurted out, "I'm the Biggest Loser." At the time it seemed wishful thinking. But no! She really is!!

I was so proud of her. It was funny -- I really felt this swelling of pride in my chest, like Ali was my child and had just won this awesome prize. And the really great thing about the show is that even everyone who didn't win got the benefit of training by Bob and Jillian (two kick-ass trainers!) and learning about appropriate nutrition. Even the ones who didn't win look fantastic, which is a prize in and of itself (I'm corny).

Some people on some of the blogs are saying Ali took diet pills. She was off the ranch for a while and lost 33 pounds by herself; they're saying that we don't know what she did or didn't do, and it's unfair that they had her come back. Well, it was unfair that she was eliminated in the first place; she never once fell below the yellow line. It was a freak elimination. And all the contestants had at least six weeks at home by themselves. Anyone could have taken diet pills.

But I don't think she did. I think if you watch the show, and you see how hard she pushed herself and how determined she was to be the first female to win, you know that she didn't need diet pills. She's hot now, and she did it using the tried-and-true method. I think some people want to believe she used supplements because it's tough to lose weight like that the proper way. It's really, really difficult. I admire the hell out of anyone who can do it. And if people believe that Ali went from 234 pounds to 122 by using diet pills, that means they don't have to do all the hard work that Ali did to get to where she is. They can just pop a pill and eat whatever they want and not move their bodies and it will all be okay.

It's not about taking diet pills or even "going on a diet." It's about lifelong dietary changes. Lifestyle changes. I could take some medication to deal with the cholesterol issues I've inherited, or I could get off my butt and do something about it other than filling my body up with chemicals. Guess which way I'm going?

New season starts in October!

No comments: