Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Friends and neighbors know that I complain a lot about my current state of affairs (which goes into effect when Damon leaves for an opening). It involves bedtime every night at 10 p.m. to prepare myself for a 6 a.m. rising so I can be at the dog park with my dog at 7 a.m., bright and early.

I love to sleep, okay? LOVE IT. More than just about anything. But because of Daylight Savings, I don't get home in time to walk the dog when it's still light outside. And it seems wrong to deprive Marshall of his daily exercise/outside time just because I'm lazy and don't want to get out of bed.

This morning was especially cold. It snowed last night, so there was two or three inches of powder on the ground for Marshall to romp through, which he loves. It was quiet and very cold -- my water bottle quit opening easily toward the end of our hour-long walk, because it was frozen shut, and a skin of ice was forming around the edges. There's hardly anyone at the park at that hour, so it's just me and the dog and his romp and my thoughts.

And my thoughts were basically this: I bitch too much about getting up early to go for our walk. I have coffee, for a start, which makes everything better. And it's gorgeous! Especially with the fresh snow. As the sun started to rise, it hit the mountains first and turned them all these lovely shades of pink and gold. Very, very pretty. The lakes are both frozen over and dusted with snow. Even though the sun doesn't peek over the horizon (when you're at the dog park) until around 7:30 a.m., seeing its return is just amazing every single morning.

I love nature. That's all.

No comments: