Thursday, February 5, 2009

Eternal Optimist?

Here is what I have to say about the recession:

Recession, schmecession.

When you turn on the television or go looking for news across the internets, it's all bad: This business closed, these people lost their jobs, this much money isn't being spent compared to last year. But the really big question -- to me, anyway -- is, who cares?

So money isn't being spent. We spend too much money on crap we don't need anyway. So a business closed. There are also businesses opening every day ... yes, opening ... and they are hiring people who lost their jobs. There are jobs out there, too! Maybe not the exact job you had, but a job nonetheless. Something you are qualified to do for money.

I just find it very interesting how we even define "recession." A lot of it hinges on whether the general populace believes that there is a recession. Right now, everyone believes that there is a recession, so everyone's hoarding their money and their possessions and thinking negative thoughts about Where It's All Going.

Chill out, people. Everything changes, even the economy. Nothing can continue growing indefinitely; it's against the laws of nature. I'll admit, sometimes I get caught up in Recession Panic. Recently, I was thinking about maybe quitting the volunteer work I do.

But then I woke up. I have a car that runs and money to buy gas to put in that car. I also sincerely believe that it is good for the heart, soul and mind to do something selfless every once in a while (in my case, twice or three times a month). I have clothes and a roof over my head and food to eat. (A little too much food.) I am healthy. The people to whom I deliver food are not healthy; many of them are dying. How can I begrudge them the handful of minutes it takes to bring them nourishing food?

In other words: Buck up, world. It's not that bad. It could always be worse. Money isn't everything.

No comments: