Sunday, August 9, 2009

Radio Woes

For about a year, we had the best radio station in Denver that I've ever heard. It was called Indie (101.5 FM) and they played, well, indie rock -- but also quite a bit of underground hip-hop, alternative rock and other such things.

It was a great station. I found a bunch of new music I never would have been exposed to otherwise, and I enjoyed pretty much everything I heard on there. (Hard rock version of Ginuwine's "Pony"? Sheer effin' genius.)

But, for some reason, Indie has moved to online only. Now, 101.5 FM plays the strangest mixture of music I have ever had the misfortune to hear. Seriously, the format does not have a market here in Denver. Either they play hard rock (of the Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park variety; gag me) or crap R&B/rap. There's no crossover market here for those genres of music ... especially when you play the absolute worst tracks that the genre has to offer.

And who's going to go online to listen to the radio? It pisses me off because, as I have mentioned before, I don't even have a CD player in my car. Tape deck and radio; that's it. I could listen to my iPod, of course, but then I wouldn't be getting exposed to new things I've never heard before. (Although there's probably some of that on my iPod. I have a lot of music I don't listen to frequently.)

My thoughts on the matter? Both the new 101.5 FM station (whatever the hell it's called) and Indie303.com are going to fail. Miserably.

I just wish I knew who to blame for singlehandedly destroying the best radio station I've ever heard -- and hence, the best radio station Denver has ever seen.

No comments: