Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bei Mir Bist Du Schon

I went to a WWII-era ball last night with a friend -- and we had so much fun!

First things first: I got hopelessly lost on the way there. I'd never been to this facility before (Boulder Airport), and once I found it, I had to drive around it to get to the entrance. Luckily my date was understanding.

Once we got there, we grabbed our drink tickets and got some red wine. They had this place totally tricked out -- an authentic B-25 bomber that they started and revved up during the dance, a 1940s big band, a barbershop quartet, old movies screening on the wall, an aerial burlesque artist, and a vintage-vehicle collectors' group who were dressed up in authentic WWII soldiers' uniforms. We made friends with a "captain" and a "colonel" who served as our drink-runners all night; it was great. They even introduced us to "General Patton," who let us fire the machine gun on the vintage tank!

(Then we got yelled at for firing the gun -- first by the band leader, then by the airport operations manager, who had apparently been called by the police because it was too loud. It was the second time that night we'd been "shushed" -- the first being during the barbershop quartet, but we weren't even the loudest people talking at that point. And it was funny because they were admonishing me and my date instead of the "soldiers" -- because we totally brought the gun in the first place, and it was totally our idea to fire it!)

Anyway, it was awesome. We had a blast. I wish they had one every weekend -- but it probably wouldn't be that much fun, then, would it?

No comments: