Friday, June 19, 2009

Snobby Is As Snobby Does

Last night I had my first encounter (at this particular job incarnation) of Evergreen snobbery. First, two gentlemen came and sat at a table on the deck; one was wearing a Hiwan Golf Club shirt. They ordered a pitcher of beer. Then a couple came in and were sitting down, chatting with the gentlemen. They talked for a while, and I asked if they were going to join the group; they said no, they were going to be taking a table at the end of the deck, and proceeded to place their order.

The first couple of things the male half of the couple ordered, we were out of. "You would say that, wouldn't you?" he said after the first item. After I told him we no longer had the second, he said, "Do you know who I am?"

"No," I told him.

"Do you know who he is?" Gesturing to Hiwan Golf Club next to him. (Owner? Operator? President? Who knows?)

"No," I said.

"Well," he said. "That didn't get us anywhere, did it?"

"Nope," I agreed. He ordered from what we did have available on the menu and that was that.

I just thought it was funny. What do people think? "Oh, we're out of this item for the plebians. But for our special customers, we keep an extra stash in the back. Let me just go alert the cook that your table is the special table."

Some people. Really!

No comments: