Sunday, January 25, 2009

Not The Reaction She'd Hoped For

So there's this girl who works at the restaurant who, last week, was saying she needed to take a pregnancy test because she was late.

And this week I come in and when I see her, I say, "Hi, how are you today, so-and-so?"

And she says, "Pregnant."

And this is the first thing out of my mouth: "Oh. Shit."

Then: "Um. Congratulations ... who's the daddy?"

"Oh, this guy who lives in Alabama ... it happened over the holidays."

"Wow. So, um, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to have it."

And all I can think about is how there's a recession ... and this girl is having a baby. Not that there is anything at all wrong with having babies. (For me, there might be. But that's another story, another blog, another day.) And it's not because she and her significant other are financially doing okay ... and it's not because she really wants a baby ... it's because she just wasn't all that careful when she had sex with some random dude over the holidays.

To me, it just doesn't make sense. Which is maybe why the first thing out of my mouth is, "Oh. Shit."

No comments: