Friday, July 25, 2008

Going Green

Everyone is talkin' green these days, so I thought I'd share some tips on how I keep it green, yo!

* Recycle. Duh.

* I use environmentally friendly cleaning products, from window/glass cleaner to all-purpose cleaner to dish detergent to laundry detergent to an Oxi-Clean type cleaner to fabric softener.

* I use kitchen towels for most of my cleaning, saving paper towels for things that really require paper towels. The paper towels I buy (and the toilet paper I buy) are 100-percent recycled. Nothing wrong with that.

* I have this great thing called a Star Mop. It's kind of like a Swiffer, but it's got reusable (washable) pads that you attach to the bottom to sweep up pet hair or mop your floors. I like it.

* My vacuum cleaner has a container for dust and dirt that you can empty -- it's bagless. Way cool.

* I use power strips on my TV and other such things so I can turn them all the way off when I'm done. It's good for your electric bill, too.

* Whenever possible, I try to buy local, organic food to cut down on the carbon footprint of my food.

I'm not at the point yet where I can ride my bike everywhere (I wish!) but another thing I've been thinking about is arranging my schedule to where I can take the bus to and from work at least one day a week.

No comments: