Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday, Liquor Sunday

Work was super lame today. To give you just a taste of how bad it was, I'll merely say this: The power went out at the end of the day, and I had to calculate all my remaining tables' tabs, plus sales tax, by remembering exactly what they had. Less than fun.

I wanted to report mostly on my very first purchase of alcohol from a liquor store on Sunday in the history of my life in Colorado. (It seems weird that in Missouri, you can buy whatever you want at the gas station -- talk about convenience -- and yet Colorado makes noise about being a more forward-thinking state, doesn't it?) I actually made it all the way home after my shift was over and the power-outage fiasco had taken its toll on me, then said, "Oh, shit! I forgot to go to the liquor store!" I mostly wanted to go for the novelty, but there's also something about serving people alcohol all day long and then not having any for yourself when you get home, that makes it extra-terrible when the liquor store is closed on Sunday.

I bought: A six-pack of iced tea, a box of cabernet (four bottles' worth, and it's decent wine) and a $5 crossword puzzle scratch-and-win. I lost.

But it was nice to be able to embark something as trivial as a visit to the liquor store that, while trivial, also has political significance -- who is anyone to say you can't buy alcohol on Sundays? It's a silly and arbitrary rule. As the Colorado legislature proved.

No comments: