Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hot, Hot, Hot

This morning I did something really dumb. I was heating up water for my morning cup of tea, and after the water was boiling, I picked up the teapot with my left hand and my travel mug with my right hand to pour the water (normally, I leave the mug on the counter when I pour; it's safer that way). What's really stupid is that as I was getting ready to pour the water, I thought, "I'm going to hurt myself here."

Well, I did hurt myself. I splashed boiling-hot water on my index, middle and ring fingers of my right hand. I was kind of in a hurry (I lost my passkey to get into the garage, and I was hoping to get to work early enough that the two spots reserved in the parking lot for visitors would still be open, and I could nab one of them, but that didn't work out as planned. Of course.) so I spent some cursory time running my hand under ice-cold water until it was time to go to work.

And my hand hurt the whole way to work. Throbbing, burning pain. There is nothing like burn pain -- it sucks. I got to work and thought I'd try some of the aloe vera gel I keep for sunburn relief in my cubicle, but that didn't help at all. So then I went to the kitchen to investigate and see what we have for burn relief in the freezer.

There are no ice packs in the freezer, but there is ice. I looked around for something to put the ice in, and for some reason I ended up just grabbing a length of Saran wrap. When I got back to my desk, I thought to myself, "This is silly; when the ice melts, water is going to get everywhere." I went back to the kitchen to find one of our plastic cups to put the ice in, but we were totally out of both plastic cups (for drinking water) and Styrofoam cups (for coffee).

That meant I had to start looking through the cupboards to see what was available. The best thing I found was this big, shallowish mug with Mickey Mouse on it. So I put the ice in there and spent most of the morning with my right hand chillin' in the mug, and trying to use my mouse with my left hand (not nearly as easy as it sounds).

It was a really good look.

No comments: